Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey


Review


Click cover for goodreads description


When I first started reading The Forever Girl and when I read the description it wasn't a book that I thought I was going to be into. I'm really not into the whole vampire thing, yes I did read Twilight, but other than that I'm not into vampires, werewolves, leprechauns, unicorns, all mythical creatures. I'm not into the it, but yet again this was another fantasy book that has changed my mind about the genre.

(I always forget to add a little tidbit about the story so I'm adding this in after I wrote the rest of this) The novel is about Sophia Parson, an outcast Wiccan, who gets thrown into a world that she doesn't understand or truly believes exist. After dealing with the knowledge that their are vampires, shifters, and other out of the ordinary beings she needs to figure out who she is and what she's truly capable of. With the help of Charles Liette she learns more about her family tree and gets the answers she looking for, while all along forming a bond with the mysteries Charlie along the way.

There isn't many times that I've said that I loved the female lead, but the main character Sophia Parson kept me interested throughout the whole book. There was never a time when I thought, holy crap I can't take her anymore or was annoyed. Even in some of my favorite books I get frustrated with the characters, but I didn't with her. I found her to be very likeable, smart, and strong. I would also like to add that it was also the first time I liked the female character better than the male. (I'm a sucker for a hot male lead) Speaking of the hot male lead Charles Liette I wanted to shake him and tell him to make up his mind about his feelings. Though those are the best part about books. The sexual tension and attraction between two characters I believe is what keeps you reading. This book does not lack that at all. I found myself smiling a few times as I read about the two of them.

From start to finish the book will keep you guessing the storyline. I would have never been able to guess what the hay was going to happen. The concept of the forever girl and the background of how one becomes a forever girl is not only creative, but the way she created the back story was amazing. Without giving anything away my favorite part of the book was the back story about her best friend Ivory. The whole concept that Rebecca Hamilton wrote going back to the Salem witch trials made me sad but happy that someone could love someone so much. I absolutely loved it!

I would have to say that the only thing that threw me off a little was the cover. The character that I pictured and the character on the front cover in my head didn't match up. From the cover I thought it was a YA book and that also threw me off once I began to read, but I was happy that I was wrong. To make clear I like the cover, but I guess I'm a fan of not seeing a picture of the character so I can use my imagination instead.

I highly recommend The Forever Girl even if it's not something you're normally into. It has everything you need for a good story: action, romance, mystery, magic, and sass. I love sass! Definitely looking forward for the next book in the series.

2 comments:

  1. Great view. Like you, I didn't think it was the type of book for me. I'm glad I picked it up because loved it from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete