Monday, December 3, 2012

Review day!


Hey Bloaders today I'm reviewing a novel called The Succubus Gift by B.R. Kingsolver!





Like I've said in many of my other blogs when I review fantasy novels it's usually not my cup of tea. If it wasn't for people who send me review request it's not necessarily a book I would pick out on my own.

Bare with me I read this novel awhile ago and just got the chance to sit down and write a review for it. The novel is about a succubus named Brenna. She stumbles across her family one night and decides to get to know about her past and her powers in her clan. I'm not sure if I can really explain this for it to make sense like B.R. but the people in the clan that is her family all have different powers. For example telepathy, transporting, reading soles, reading minds, walking through minds, and of course succubus. Trust me there are many more powers and Brenna has all of them. Apparently, a person who has all of them can be very dangerous because she doesn't know how to use them all. There are parts were people are afraid of her because of how angry she can get and with one mood swing Brenna can take out an entire block of people. (That is just a little upset) To say they walk on their tip toes around her not to make her mad is an understatement.

I always try to relate to the main characters in every novel I read. I have a hard time relating to girls because sometimes I find them unrealistic. I didn't feel that way about Brenna. She was likable and strong powered woman. She comes off as very brave and the powers she possess are pretty amazing. She's also very beautiful and can use her body and pheromones to influence men.

To give a brief description about the flow of the book. There are men who are trying to capture and kill succubus. They are also trying to figure out who is part of the clan (that Brenna belongs to). The way that they kill the succubus is by far the most violent that I've read and I read murder mystery novels all the time. Reading it made me cringe thinking about what they did to their bodies.

The novels goes on trying to figure out what's happening and along the way she makes good friends with Rebecca who I absolutely loved and is a protector. There is also Collin who seems to be the playboy, cute, everyone loves him, type. I loved the play back and forth between him and Brenna. His succubus gift drew him toward her, but he was hooked with or without the gift.

The novel was intriguing and interesting to read about the powers, the hookups, and the history of Brenna's family. And let me tell you if you shy away from sex in a novel then keep on moving because there is plenty of sex!!! PLENTY!!!

The only thing that I didn't care for in the book was when Brenna finally became the succubus and let her powers free. I wasn't a fan of the "Succubus Brenna." She seemed to lose her compassion when she was the succubus. Having sex and then draining men for 24 hours. Not having the compassion she had when she wasn't using her succubus gift. The part I related to and liked was gone. The more succubus have sex the more powerful they feel and the more they glow. It was hard to think that someone could have sex with anyone and anywhere. I got to the point where I was like oh, she's having sex again. I also found it hard to keep up with who had what powers and what each power did. It was also hard to tell how much time actually passes in the story.


Would I recommend this book? Yes, I would. It starts off slow but it was an interesting read. At the beginning I didn't think I was going to make it through and by the end I was ready to read the next novel to see where the story was going to go. The way B.R. goes through to set a trap for the killer and the transformation of the characters makes you want to continue the saga. I'm not kidding though if you are off put by sex than do not read this book! I personally like books with some kinkiness in it and I was blushing like crazy!!!



If you click on the picture above it will link you to the amazon page to purchase the novel. There are a lot of parts to this novel and a lot of characters and I hope I explained it well enough because if I would have went into more detail this would have been the length of a short novel! Feel free to ask questions below though and I will do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment